Write a shell script to display the smallest file name in respect of the string length among the list of files available in the current directory?
- FAQ. Those who are looking for an answer to the question «Write a shell script to display the smallest file name in respect of the string length among the list of files available in the current directory?» often ask the following questions
- 1 other answer
- Your answer
- 22 Related questions
Those who are looking for an answer to the question «Write a shell script to display the smallest file name in respect of the string length among the list of files available in the current directory?» often ask the following questions:
😳 Write a shell program to delete all the files in the current directory?
in winxp del . /Q /S
- How to list all files in a directory bash?
- How to display current time in linux shell?
- Write a shell script that prints a list of every unique word in a file in reverse alphabetical order?
😳 How to search a string in a file in shell script?
- I am using AIX cShell. It looks like the first thing you would do would be the tail command to get the last line, piping the result to a grep or sed. You can then check the return code to see if you found what you needed on the last line if I understood your request.
- How to unzip files in shell script?
- Write a program in shell script to display odd number from 0 to 100?
- Write a shell script to read a text file delete the special symbols in it and save the file with a new file name?
😳 How do you write to a file in shell script?
- #Script to write the output into a file.
- #Create output file, override if already present.
- echo "<<<List of Files and Folders>>>" | tee -a $output.
- #Write data to a file.
- ls | tee $output.
- echo | tee -a $output.
- How do you write a statement in dos using shell script to display a word?
- How do you print the current directory in shell program?
- How to print current date in shell script?
1 other answer
ls-lS | tail-1
We've handpicked 22 related questions for you, similar to «Write a shell script to display the smallest file name in respect of the string length among the list of files available in the current directory?» so you can surely find the answer!
How to delete older files using shell script?
- Just spicing up the shell script above to delete older files but with logging and calculation of elapsed time The code adds a few things. calculates the elapsed time for the backup operation... Note: to test the code, just use -print instead of -print -delete. But do check your path carefully though.
How to send scp files using shell script?
- Instead of hardcoding password in a shell script, use SSH keys, its easier and secure. assuming your private key is at ~/.ssh/id_rsa and the files you want to send can be filtered with *.derp
How do i write a shell script?
- To successfully write a shell script, you have to do three things: Write a script. Give the shell permission to execute it. Put it somewhere the shell can find it.
How to display " human readable " file sizes in shell?
- The command you are trying is readable to me. However, you can make use of the file utility with the find as below. Another way to do this is using the below command. The above command will give you the files in the sorted file size. If you are using coreutils > 7.5, you can issue the below command to list the files by sizes.
How to change the directory of a shell script?
- Basically I need to run the script with paths related to the shell script file location, how can I change the current directory to the same directory as where the script file resides? The original post contains the solution (ignore the responses, they don't add anything useful).
How to search string in html file bash script?
- Just press Ctrl + W on your keyboard, type the search string, and hit Enter. The vim text editor also has a built-in method for searching for a string. All you need to do is type :/ followed by your search string, then press Enter. There are tons of GUI text editors available for Linux.
Which command entered without arguments is used to display a list of processes running in the current shell?
The 'ps' command without arguments will give a summary of those processes running in the current environment.
How to get the list of files in a directory in bash?
- You can check what will be listed easily by typing the ls command straight into the terminal. Basically, you create a variable yourfilenames containing everything the list command returns as a separate element, and then you loop through it.
How to write a bash script to print files?
- Write a Bash script which will take a single command line argument (a directory) and will print each entry in that directory. If the entry is a file it will print it's size. If the entry is a directory it will print how many items are in that directory. Create a command line version of the game Mastermind.
How to parse a string in a shell script?
- You can use awk for both. Zazzybob, Thanks for your reply. It would be great if you please explain me the arguments of substr function. I could not find in man pages. So if you said substr ( "hello", 2, 4 ) it would match the second, third and fourth character and return ell.
How to parse a string in bash shell script?
- You want to split this string and extract the individual words. You can split strings in bash using the Internal Field Separator (IFS) and read command or you can use the tr command. Let me show you how to do that with examples.
How to get current date in bash / shell script?
- Get date time in MM/DD/YY HH:MM:SS format: Get current Unix epoch time: Get date time in YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS format: You can simply use date command inside shell script similar to use on the command prompt. Create a bash script getDateTime.sh with the following content. Now execute the script from command line and watch output.
Can we write java code in shell script?
* We can write java commands like shell script and execute it. * Just write commands in a way that we give in jshell and save it in a file and execute it.
How do you write a good shell script?
- Always Use Comments in Scripts…
- Make a Script exit When Fails…
- Make a Script exit When Bash Uses Undeclared Variable…
- Use Double Quotes to Reference Variables…
- Use functions in Scripts.
How do you write a shell script program?
- Create a file using a vi editor(or any other editor). Name script file with extension . sh.
- Start the script with #! /bin/sh.
- Write some code.
- Save the script file as filename.sh.
- For executing the script type bash filename.sh.
How to write a shell script in linux?
- How to Create/Write a Simple/Sample Linux Shell/Bash Script Choose Text Editor. Shell scripts are written using text editors… Type in Commands and Echo Statements. Start to type in basic commands that you would like the script to run… Make File Executable. Now that the file has been saved, it needs to be made executable… Run the Shell Script… Longer Shell Script…
How to write comments in bash shell script?
Bash comments can only be done as single-line comment using the hash character # . Every line or word starting by the # sign cause all the following content to be ignored by the bash shell. This is the only way to do a bash comment and ensure text or code is absolutely not evaluated in Bash.
How to create binary file from shell script?
- You need to install required packages for SHC compiler.
- Download and Install SHC. Download the latest source code of SHC compiler from its official webpage or using below commands and extract on your system.
- Create Shell Script…
- Create Binary of Script…
How to pass text file to shell script?
- In order to get each field separately, you can use cut: The symbol for comments in shell is # NOT //. head displays the first lines of a file, head -c the first bytes. It does not cut the file. Firstly: You want to pass the contents of a text file as an input/argument to a shell script.
How to run.sh file shell script in linux?
- The procedure to run the .sh file shell script on Linux is as follows: Set execute permission on your script: chmod +x script-name-here.sh To run your script, enter: ./script-name-here.sh Another option is as follows to execute shell script: sh...
How do i navigate to a directory in shell script?
- To navigate into the root directory, use "cd /"
- To navigate to your home directory, use "cd" or "cd ~"
- To navigate up one directory level, use "cd .."
- To navigate to the previous directory (or back), use "cd -"
Write a shell script that counts the no of lines and words in a file?
You don't need a script, just use the 'wc' command:
wc -l <file>
wc -w <file>